Monday, September 7, 2009

What does the survey say: putting up a united front

Thanks to the 6 of you who took the survey! Here's what you had to say about putting up a united front.

50% said they agreed with their spouse 80% of the time.
16% said they agreed with their spouse 70% of the time.
33% said they agreed with their spouse less than 50% of the time.

84% said they agreed with their spouse about health related issues.
66% said they agreed about safety issues.
50% said they agreed about schedules, routines and developmental expectations of their children.
33%
said they agreed about discipline.

60% said they disagreed with their spouse about routines, discipline and developmental expectations of their children.
40%
said they disagreed about schedules.
20% said they disagreed about health and safety issues.

These are the situations you find most challenging to support the differences of opinions:
"Issues with his own family"
"All areas we disagree on when not consulted; if one, safety"
"Discipline"
"Going to his family's functions"
"Bedtime routines (quiet book reading vs. TV watching)"
"Who comes first, the parent or the child"

Did you ever inadvertently undermine your spouse?
1
said no
1 said not applicable
"When saying to a child they can do something when the other parent said no. We try more to consult each other alone before speaking with the children."
"Asking to leave his parents house earlier than he wanted for bedtime."
"
I'm sure I have, although I'm sure I don't want to remember the circumstances of being the guilty party..."
"My spouse had the habit of not following through with promises to the kids. Usually I would step in and "make it better" for him because I didn't want the kids to be disappointed. But once, out of frustration, I let my spouse fall and ratted him out to the disappointed child, telling him he needed to talk to his dad because it was Dad who hadn't brought home what he had promised. So my son called Dad, who asked to talk to me after my son talked to him. My spouse was really angry with me but I told him it was his problem and his issue to resolve, not mine. That did change things pretty much. My spouse was more trustworthy to the kids, which I think is really important in their relationship."



Good Parents Bad Parenting - How To Parent Together When Your Parenting Styles Are Worlds Apart by Lisa Dunning is a resource you might want to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment